Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Non Fic Post #1

Are You Being Tracked  (upfront magazine, Sep 3rd 2012 link <--)


This Article was about how law enforcement uses Global Positioning Systems in cell phones to solve crimes. The question brought up in this article, is if using this information is an invasion of privacy, a "violation of fourth amendment rights." (paraphrase) Though "phone tracking is a valuable weapon in emergencies like child abductions and suicide calls," many people have sued police for using cellular information without a warrant or probable cause.  Though many of those people have won their cases, the people really getting a pay day, are the phone companies.


The author wants you to think about everything you do with your own life, and how much of the time you have your cell phone. The author wants you to know that the police have automatic clearance to peek in at your life. The author wants you to feel a little worried, however safer, so if you're in a dangerous situation, cell phone technology could be your savior. Most importantly, the author wants you to know exactly how much information is out there, and he does that quite blankly, leaving you with how useful it is: "Without it, she never would have been found," said Lt. Heitkemper of Adam's County Sheriff's office in West Union, Ohio, while speaking about the attempted kidnapping of a girl, where GPS technology allowed the police to cutoff the vehicle of the kidnapper. He also tells you the other side, the fourth amendment disputes, who's profiting from it, letting you choose your own side.


It was quite relieving for me, and let me know that if my family or friends were missing, cell phone data could help us find them. It also gave me a better view of what had happens when every person has a tracking chip in their pocket, crimes get solved. It gave me more faith in modern society. I personally think its a good idea for everyone to be tracked and logged. However if this information isn't kept out of the wrong hands, cops may find themselves being tracked and cataloged by criminals. So I would be interested if this information is at high enough clearance, that anyone can't hack into it.

Thanks for reading! (sorry if this one was repetitive)

-drat

3 comments:

  1. Though I very very rarely carry my phone with me, I still find this article interesting. Though I have heard about the use of GPS in cell phones before, I always thought about it as an invasion of privacy. This response really points out that it is actually for your safety and the safety of others. I can breath somewhat easier now, although I still do not carry my phone around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could understand that if doing this to a random person as an invasion of privacy like if someone randomly searched my phone and looked at all my personal stuff i would feel violated and invaded. But what I thought about was that in a crime case this would be very helpful. I think if the phone searching thing is associated with the government and is trying to stop criminals it is the right thing to do. Even if its not the criminal but an accusation of someone for doing something the government should search there phone to prove right or wrong. Think about it like this we could find out about attacks or terrible things that might happen through peoples phones and be able to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that this is an invasion of privacy. i wouldn't like it if someone just went through the information on my phone and figured everything out about me for no reason. this could however be used for security reasons which i think is smart.

    ReplyDelete