Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Hunger Games (Dooh Dooh Dooh Doooo)

Reading Response #?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Let me level the playing field, Here is the wiki link but I doubt that you'll need it.

So in this dystopian trilogy, a Girl named Katniss, lives in a strange world (Panem) built on top of the remains of old civilization. (ahem America) I am reading this book for a whopping 3rd Time. Anyhoo, I am reading this again for a dystopian literature book club, which is where you will be able to find my posts in the future, on another blog. Link SOON TO COME, but back to the capitol.

 So anyway, the world is set up into separate districts by what their production is. Their only reason to exist is to fuel the capitol with supplies. The capitol is run by a 'president' snow, but it isn't quite descriptive of how much power he has as 'president.' Several years ago, (74 years) District 13 (Graphite Mining) rebelled against the capitol and many died. When the capitol eventually won the war, and obliterated District 13, The capitol invented The Hunger Games, in which each district would give up it's young, to fight to the death... on live T.V!

 Alright, the rest of the story goes, with Katniss, and a strange boy (Peeta) from her past, being entered into the Hunger Games Battle. They pretend to be in love, to keep each other alive. Peeta always loved Katniss, but Katniss loves Gale her hunting Partner... Another teenage love triangle. (that makes most of the second book unbearable) I'm not going to explain the story any further, but some great Hunger Games fanatics wrote on the wiki, so just check up there if you haven't read it.

Katniss, has a kind of despicable character type. I can't exactly explain it so well if you haven't read the entire series, but Katniss sort of plays everyone, which doesn't make me feel sad for her. I mean she is fighting for her life out there, but you can't have the best of both worlds... or it'll bite you back, and that's just what happened. Now many people may disagree, but I don't like Katniss. She is not a good person, but that's really what makes this so fun to read.

I also don't really like the world Suzanne Collins has made, why is everyone in the capitol so rich when they don't have jobs, or do anything. Also, why does everyone trust the capitol (at least for the first book) when the capitol turns your children to killers?

Thanks For Reading! (I'm not gonna attempt a joke here <---)
-drat

Post Script:

Do you believe that a society could work if some people just stood around like cows in a pasture, living off the work of others?
 

3 comments:

  1. I completely disagree with you about Katniss being a terrible person. Everyday Katniss hunts for food (illegally) where she can get killed or take by the capital as a servant just so she can feed her depressed, non working mother and her younger sister who just milks a goat everyday and makes cheese. Also the only reason Katniss is in the Hunger Games is because her sister got reaped into the Hunger Games and she volunteered to go for her in attempts to save her life. So you can explain to me why she is a bad person. good piece by the way….LMFAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase I know where you're coming from with not feeling bad for Katniss. I read this book three years ago, but I do remember wanting to feel bad for Katniss but not really feeling bad for her. However to make a case for Katniss, she's just doing what she needs to do to survive. If she doesn't double cross and kill the other tributes, they'll kill her. Good post.

    Yours truly,
    Nils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally can sympathize with Katniss and she's bitter but not for no reason. Her father was killed in a coal mining explosion, and now she has to fight 41 children to the death. No, the Idea that one single people benefit by the work of others would never work. The people doing the work would eventually get very angry and revolt. I do agree that Katniss is not the most likable character but she has good reason not to be all smiles. Nobody really likes the Capitol except the capitol, but they cant voice it or they'll be killed by the capitol.

    ReplyDelete