Reading Response Number Five (I think)
Animal Farm! (for this one I did some research)
Okay, I read animal farm last week. It was a very quick read and was very thought provoking. Now if you don't no what it is, Animal Farm by George Orwell (pseudonymous - BIG word)is a book written about communism and is really, making fun of it. So basically Communism is the Ideology that if everyone in a society has the same amount of power, and does exactly the same thing(same amount), and makes the same amount money, everyone is equal. (Essentially removing the 'Castes' from a society) This eventually leads to problems when forming a leader, because a leader would have more power then everyone else. Once a leader is 'chosen' it morphs into a form of dictatorship, ruining the hopes of a utopian society.
Animal Farm is basically a step by step copy of the Russian Revolution. Every character is based of a real person who affected the Revolution. For example: Old Major invents "Animalism" and preaches the word to the entire farm. (incites revolution) Old Major is based off Karl Marx, the creator of Communism, they both die before the revolution. The animals, being the people of Russia, are often mislead by: Changes in the principles of animalism, amount of food/gains, reasons for someone's disappearance, and Snowball's misdeeds. It shows how stupid a society is in it's whole, and that how little you believe in the truth of something, people forget. Your opinion is meaningless in an enormous society.
When you heard about government as a child what did you believe a perfect world would be? I personally thought of a world where there was no money, and everyone had to work a bit, but could live where ever they wanted and have whatever they wanted. Those are Communist ideas. That isn't uncommon. Even today five countries are still communist. ( China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam) To tell you the truth, I believe Communism would be great is it could work. If someone could somehow figure out a way everyone could be equal, without making leaders more equal then citizens, and it worked, it would be great.
Thanks For Reading! (It's amazing you could understand that(if you could)
-drat
Post Script:
Question to any of you that respond,
Do you believe that your American lifestyle is Utopian? Why or why not?
i actually dont believe in the utopian lifestyle. people would not have to work hard in order to make the same amount of money as the rest of the population. however i know you agree with this lifestyle so please respond.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your idea that Animal Farm is commentating on communism. I have read the book many times and i have seen their society collapse just like in russia and Cuba. Also like in communism people/animals bend the rules to their advantage. Like one of the rules is not to sleep in a bed but someone rewrote it to be don't sleep in a bed... with sheets.This could also be about how there will never be a perfect system. As long as we are human/animals we will make mistakes. Overall, good response chase! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Chase!
ReplyDeleteVery politically strong post! I personally believe there is no such thing as a utopian society. On communism, I think that some aspects are favorable, but I personally don't think it would work as a whole. There has to be some type of leader or laws or instructions of some sort or else everyone would just reek havoc and turn against eachother. In terms of big business and things like that I do agree with communism. Work levels and education should be as equal as possible. I think the closest we can come to a utopian society is gathering aspects of all different ideas like socialism and communism, because they all have some good ideas.
Nice post! :)
Good post chase.I think my American life style is utopian. I agree with you because when i was a kid i thought a perfect world was when no one had to work and everything was free. I still sometimes think that today.Nice Blog!
ReplyDeletei also don't believe in a Utopian lifestyle.It wouldn't be fair because some people might work harder then others but they would still be paid the same.It would never work because there would be no leader. In order for there to be a leader there would be a difference in power and that is not supposed to happen so it wont work.Nice Post overall it got me thinking if this would one day be possible.
ReplyDeleteI also don't believe in the Utopian lifestyle. This lifestyle would turn out to be unsuccessful because there DOES have to be a difference in power btw. the leader and the citizens. Great post!
ReplyDelete