Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Who Will Save You Now? Blogpost # I Don't Remember

Book: The World Made By Hand by: James Howard Kunstler  (wiki) <---

The World Made By Hand, by James Howard Kunstler is a dystopian novel about the end of the world, and how it affects a small town. In Union Grove, NY, we take on the character of Robert Earle, a refugee of the end of the world. Most electricity is out, and all government has retired. Our story starts when he and his friend, Loren (the reverend of their church) stumble upon newcomers to their small suburban town. Brother Jobe (nils<) of The New Faith Church had just bought the old abandoned high school in their town, for his church to live and worship in. Only a few days later, a young boy is shot within Robert's vicinity. This raises up questions if their still is any laws, and if the shooter can be prosecuted. This also drives Brother Jobe to start introducing himself, and his church to the townspeople.

So far, this book has been startlingly realistic.  Though power occasionally flicks on, their world is dark except for those with the power to build generators. Luckily, Union Grove stayed to together, which kept them alive. I really understand these people, (after reading enough of these books) they are stuck in a tough situation, and need to find a way out. The main character talks about people making drugs and alcohol as a "public service." That reminded me of the child soldier unit, in which the soldiers used drugs to leave the horrible place they were in. However, what really spooked me was how the general store owner acted when the boy was killed:

"-nothing I can do will bring this young man back to life. This will all come out in the wash, I promise you. ... I'm personally sorry this has happened, and I wish you luck in dealing with it."

This boy died, because a man shot his dog thinking it had rabies, and he yelled at the man. The shop owner thinks this will come out in the wash. I personally think that that is in humane. Why persecute a killer when normal life might serve him justice. This kind of think may be what comes out of catastrophic events, but it still should not be stood for.

Thanks For Reading! (it took me exactly 29:30 to write this)

-drat

Post Script: Do you believe what the shop keeper said was reasonable?



1 comment:

  1. Chase I notice that you seem to have a thing for dystopia [with the books that you read and the video games that you play(Fallout 3)]. I personally believe that in a time of great crisis your beliefs and morales may be altered. You may pay less attention to what is right and wrong and focus more on your own survival. (it took me exactly 29:30 to write this and it should be spelled Jôbe)

    ReplyDelete